Mediterranean Style Orange Roughy
Oh man this was SO SO SO amazing that I just have to share it with you! Even my kids said this was the best fish meal they had ever had! I felt pretty legit with such high praise from kids, who we all know are the most honest of critics! I had never even heard of orange roughy until last week but I won’t soon forget how tender and mild this fish was. I’m sure you could substitute any mild white fish, but if you can get your hands on the roughy, do it!
MEDITERRANEAN SYLE ORANGE ROUGHY
Serves 4, Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 15 mins
4 (6 ounce) orange roughy fillets
4-6 ounces feta cheese with dried basil and tomato or plain feta (I eyeballed this and just added as much as I thought looked balanced)
1/4 cup sour cream (I do full fat. Anything low fat is less healthy because sugar is added to give flavor since the flavor, aka fat, has been removed.)
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, diced
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1-2 teaspoon lemon zest (I prefer one)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
fresh parsley, to taste (I added about 2 tablespoons)
fresh ground black pepper + sea salt, to taste
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon ghee
1 tablespoon dry white wine (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Melt ghee and 1 tablespoon olive oil on stove. Lightly cover foil with some of the ghee/olive oil mixture. Reserve the rest.
3. Season fish on both sides with sea salt and pepper.
4. In a medium bowl combine feta, sour cream, red onion, garlic, capers, tomatoes, lemon zest, fresh parsley, oregano, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and stir until thoroughly combined.
5. Arrange fish on baking sheet.
6. Use the rest of the ghee/olive oil mixture and brush on fish, then top with the tomato mixture, spreading evenly over fish.
7. Bake until fish is just cooked through, 10-15 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
*Adapted from this recipe found on food.com.