Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus with Pesto
I’m a BIG fan of bacon and an even bigger fan of Paleo since I can eat bacon pretty frequently, so when I saw this recipe from @realfoodwithdana I had to share it with you! It’s so easy and so delish. I’ve modified the pesto recipe a bit because I adore pesto and mine is to die for. ?
1 Bunch asparagus
4 Thick slices bacon (or 8 prosciutto)
1 Tbsp melted coconut oil, avocado oil, or ghee (my fave)
1/2 Tsp garlic powder
1/4 Tsp sea salt
1/3 Cup pine nuts, toasted
1 Bunch basil leaves (about 2 cups packed)
1 Cup spinach leaves
2 Cloves garlic
1/3 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
Parmesan cheese, to taste (I usually add about 1/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Chop about 1/2 inch off the ends of the asparagus. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the asparagus in the oil (whichever you choose), garlic powder and sea salt.
3. Bake the asparagus for 12-15 minutes until it begins to brown.
4. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet until browned, but still soft and pliable, not crispy (about 6 min, depending on thickness).
5. Make the pesto: toast pine nuts in a small skillet over medium low heat, shaking the pan to move them around about every minute. It should take around 5 minutes until they’re lightly toasted. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Combine the basil, spinach, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cooled pine nuts in a blender of food processor. Pulse a few times to mix and then slowly add the olive oil while on medium speed, until desired consistency is reached.
6. When the asparagus is done, separate into four bundles and carefully wrap the bacon around each bundle. Top with a spoonful of pesto and serve!
Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!