Easy Egg Cups
These beautiful little egg cups turned out so much better than I expected! I knew they’d be good, but they completely exceeded my expectations! I’ve seen and made egg cups before, but there was something perfect about this specific combo of ingredients. A lonely pack of turkey bacon was in the fridge and it had just the right amount of slices to fill and muffin tin, so that’s where the inspiration came from. You can see how I made this on Instagram under the Highlight called “Egg Cups”.
Easy Egg Cups
Recipe by: Alison Howard
Yield: 12 egg cups
1 Tbsp olive oil (or bacon fat, that’s what I used)
1/2 a large onion, diced
1 cup mushroom, chopped
1 cup broccolini, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 slices turkey bacon
Fresh spinach (about 2 cups)
Cheddar cheese, to taste, grated
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 dozen eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a skillet over medium-high heat add oil or fat and heat it up. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and broccolini and cook until tender. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook until you can smell the garlic, about 1 minute.
- In a muffin pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray coil the turkey bacon around the opening of each cup. Once done, add a layer of spinach to the bottom.
- Using a spoon, scoop the vegetable mixture into each cup. Top with grated cheese and red pepper flakes. The grated cheese makes a little nest and will hold the egg. Crack one egg into a separate bowl (one at a time) to make sure shell doesn’t get into it. Add egg to the little cheese nest. Repeat until all cups are done. Hit each egg with a little pinch of salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is set but the yolk is still runny. Remove and let cool, but serve warm.
These were also great reheated! The yolk stayed jammy and they made for an easy quick breakfast. Hope you enjoy!